"Like a Dream,
Whatever I enjoy
Will become a memory;
The past is not revisited."
Shantideva
Since death alone is certain and the time of death uncertain, what should I do?
I sat for 10 minutes, meditated, as asked in the book I am reading, Buddhism without Beliefs, and pondered the question above......
I had at times a "gut" feeling. It was what I believe to be a feeling brought on by fear.
In the past, not to long ago, I was so preoccupied with my thoughts of my own death and the death of others. I would be put into a state of anxiety that was so overwhelming for me it would take medication to bring me out of it.
During the sit, I would bring the question to mind and then after feeling the feeling of what I believe to be fear, I would then just say "just breathe". "Just Breathe" What I should do is just breathe..... For me, my type, to come up with just breathe, is yet another sign that I am growing in my journey of finding out who this person really is. I get to just breathe and not have to think about when the moment of my death is to come, or is my family going to be OK with that moment, or is my daughter OK with her life for me to have that moment of death. All of that in between life stuff, the controlling, the manipulating, the wanting of a better life, the wanting of having not done all the things that I at one time thought needed to be done before that moment.
"Just Breathe" What relief today, yes the gut feeling that I first had was what I believe to have been fear, but being able to just sit through that feeling for me is such a relief to know that yes this is what happens to me and to all of my loved ones. So far now I get to just breathe......
Writing my thoughts and living life to the best of all my abilities. Not always in the most gracious way, but it beats not participating in life at all!
Daily Inspiration
"We should never forget the silence ...No words needed today, only sitting."
unknown
"Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober."--Bill W.
"Recovery is a path, not a sudden landing."--Sandra B
"We are responsible for the effort, not the outcome."
anonymous
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me in a nutshell
50 years old, 14 years sober! Happy to be living the life I could have only dreamed of!
Jolynn and Greg
What it can be like
Talented Granddaughter
Jerrica and her drawing of horses
Grateful for the loved ones in my life
Jerrica and her great grandma, Sue
1 comment:
I was reading some other Stephen Batchelor work the other day and came across this quote that hit me between the eyes: Anxiety is the mood of ignorance.
We are the only species that deliberately attempts to stay ignorant of the fact of death. I think the part of the wisdom of Buddhism and some other eastern religions is that they do not shy away from death as a fact to accept. The notion being, I believe, that if we can accept impermanence at our core, we quit clinging and can really enjoy life at this moment. At this moment, we just breathe and do the next indicated right thing.
Post a Comment