
Dharma practice can never be in contradiction with science; not because it provides some mystical validation of scientific findings but because it simply is not concerned with either validating or invalidating them. Its concern lies entirely with the nature of existential experience.
Where does this leave us?Me? It may seem that there are two options; either to believe in rebirth or not.
The third alternative; to acknowledge, in all honesty, I do not know.
We neither have to adopt the literal versions of rebirth presented by religious tradition nor fall into the extreme of regarding death as annihilation.
Regardless of what we believe, our actions will reverberate beyond our deaths. Irrespective of our personal survival, the legacy of our thoughts, words, and deeds will continue through the impressions we leave behind in the lives of those we have influenced or touched in any way.
I don't know
I am so OK with the I dont know......
My experience in the rebirth theories, opinions, teachings, what ever you want to call it was to the extreme. I was taught that I had to believe in the after life, the rebirth. It was at times very confusing, and full of intense fear of dying; at times I would also have peace and comfort in knowing that I was going to be with my "Heavenly Father", even with butterfly feelings in my stomach as I was in a church full of joyful people, my people, reacting people, and thinking if they believe I can believe. Wow how fucked up could I be..... I don't mean that in a bad way, I just was so screwed up I could not think or feel for myself, it was all based on illusions and delusions of others and their beliefs. I did not know how to think or feel for myself.
I have gone through different phases in my journey of searching for myself, and what I think and feel to be. I love the thought of I just don't know and am OK with it. Does that mean that I can just go through this life with not a care of myself and others because I don't know what the after life, rebirth really is, No not even. What I do know today is that what I do is definitely going to have an affect on myself and others around me.
I want to be that good influence of other peoples lives, I want to have good intentions. I want to have good Karma, and be a positive impression left behind when that time comes for the after life even if I don't know what that is.
I believe that all things are a direct result of how I am today.... Am I responsible for others actions? No all I can do today is focus on my journey and try my very best, my best effort, in doing what I believe to be the next indicated right thing.
Meditating, learning, loving and being. Wow what a life today, what comfort in the not knowing and being OK.
I love my walk, I love learning daily.
Thanks to my God of my understanding. Thanks to all of the women and men that I have been able to learn from and watch them in their journey. They help guide me in the right way, from their experiences, their journeys.
2 comments:
That quote from Stephen Batchelor's book, Buddism Without Beliefs, provides such comfort to me. I don't have to know what happens after I die. I only have to walk the path now.
I too feel comfort with knowing that I dont have to know, just be the best I can be today.
Thank you Linda for your comments.
love ya
Post a Comment