Friday, March 27, 2009

Flip Flopping


Like a fish
pulled from its home in the water
& thrown on land:
this mind flips & flaps about
to escape Mara's sway.

Hard to hold down,
nimble,
alighting wherever it likes:
the mind.
Its taming is good.
The mind well-tamed brings ease.

-Dhammapada, 3, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Im not liking my book "Radical Acceptance"
It is getting a little, for lack of words, over done with the authors patient case histories.

I certainly do identify with the above poem, I think that is what it is.
Like a fish pulled from its water and thrown on land..... I visualize the thrashing around fighting for the breath, the grasping for the air to breathe.....
That is what I have been feeling during my sits at times. My mind just flips and flops, I am learning to just sit through the flips and the flops and then when done with my sit I am generally at ease, my mind.

No comments:

Me in a nutshell

50 years old, 14 years sober! Happy to be living the life I could have only dreamed of!

Jolynn and Greg

Jolynn and Greg
What it can be like

Talented Granddaughter

Talented Granddaughter
Jerrica and her drawing of horses

Grateful for the loved ones in my life

Grateful for the loved ones in my life
Jerrica and her great grandma, Sue

Friends