What I read.....
Interludes of natural or purposeful pausing "temporary Nirvana."
We touch the freedom that is possible in any moment when we are not grasping after our experience or resisting it. Ajahn Buddhadasa writes that without such moments of pausing, "... living things would either die or become insane. Instead, we survive because there are natural periods of coolness, of wholeness and ease. In fact, they last longer than the fires of our grasping and fear. It is this that sustains us."
Pausing is the gateway to Radical Acceptance. In the midst of a pause we are giving room and attention to the life that is always streaming through us, the life that is habitually overlooked.
Like the Buddha, rather than running away, we need only commit ourselves to arriving, here and now, with wholehearted presence.
My thoughts....
I have died and have become insane quite often throughout my life. My life especially before sobriety I was dead. I never wanted to pause, I was constantly grasping and chasing what I thought at that time, I guess you could call it my Nirvana, I was always looking for a way to escape the feelings, and once I felt something of what I thought was a good feeling, I needed more and more. There was just never enough.
In sobriety I thought I had lost my mind for a while. In fact I did. My first years of being sober were not wanting to feel, and so then when feelings came up I needed to do something about them, fix them, so I had to have something wrong with me besides alcoholism so diagnos me with a chemical balance, oh yes that is it I am insane, fix it hurry and fix it. So at least 7 years of my sobriety I spent trying to fix it with major chemicals to my system and hospitals and institutions. Wow what a ride for Nirvana was that!!
The last 3 years since my father passed on, I have been on a different path, I remember now in retrospect that when I watched my father pass from this life to the next, I paused.... I felt the sadness, the pain that unfortunately he was feeling, the loss of losing him, the joy of being there with him at that moment, and the relief of he is in a better place, and I also pause and remember how much I miss him.
I dont think I am saying that my father dying is what started this new path, I just know today after my readings this morning that something changed in me, I no longer want to be in a grasping of life, fearing the after life state of mind.
This reading just helped me remember I was grasping and fearing life, not pausing to feel the present moment. I still today dont like the feelings when things are happening to me and around me, but for me a pause is just after getting off the phone with like Jerricas dad yesterday, and wanting to go and just hurt him so bad, and just sitting in my car and pausing and saying to my self it is going to be ok, I am getting to observe my granddaughters life, just not the way I want to, sat there for a moment and breathed and then went into the gym and had a great workout. I love that I am not having to react harshly or hurtful anymore, or at least a lot less.
The natural periods of coolness, of wholeness and ease!! Wow what a feeling, to know that I am alive in this life, alive in this life!! To know what it is like to be dead and amongst the living, that is what I feel today is alive in this life!
Writing my thoughts and living life to the best of all my abilities. Not always in the most gracious way, but it beats not participating in life at all!
Daily Inspiration
"We should never forget the silence ...No words needed today, only sitting."
unknown
"Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober."--Bill W.
"Recovery is a path, not a sudden landing."--Sandra B
"We are responsible for the effort, not the outcome."
anonymous
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(97)
-
▼
March
(16)
- Flip Flopping
- Great day
- Desire
- Day is over
- Strange morning
- forwarded email from Jani
- What I have heard so far, Roshi's talks
- All things come to an end
- Unconditional Friendliness
- Temporary Nirvana
- Breathe, Acknowledge, and Observe
- Finding the answer
- I Am In Constant Need of Being Reminded
- A Beautiful Day Out
- I can see this being me
- Why Practice?
-
▼
March
(16)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me in a nutshell
50 years old, 14 years sober! Happy to be living the life I could have only dreamed of!
Jolynn and Greg
What it can be like
Talented Granddaughter
Jerrica and her drawing of horses
Grateful for the loved ones in my life
Jerrica and her great grandma, Sue
4 comments:
Beautiful, Joni. I love the book Radical Acceptance. I feel the urge to pull it from the shelf and read it again -- or I can just come here. :) Love you!
I love you too Linda! It is definitely bringing more awareness to what is real and what is false, and being present, or at least more so than my norm.
Stunning share, Joni.
Watching the preciousness of passings really teaches us so many things.
Each time for me, has held new info to process. I am always more inspired to try to remain awake through my days ... as much as I possibly can handle.
Stacey so true as much as I can possibly handle. It is awsome, awareness, being awake even in the not so good moments. I had a moment this morning but the awareness of what I am doing at that moment is really coming to the front a lot quicker, I mean really a lot quicker than it has ever been. The presence of inner turmoil, the dukkha, I am so much more aware of. Breathe and wait. Wow what a concept. Thanks for your great insights and great comments. lots of love
Post a Comment